If you are not going to use a gift card, you can sell it online, give it to friends, make a purchase that you can sell, donate it to charity, and more.
Many people give each other gift cards for Christmas, birthdays and other holidays. However, while some cards are a welcome gift, other cards offered by some stores may not be of any use or enjoyment to you.
That is why many people are interested in gift card return and what can be done with an unwanted gift card. If you are wondering “can you return gift card”, “how to turn gift card into cash” or “what to do with a gift card I don’t need”, keep reading.
What Are Gift Cards And How Do They Work?
Gift cards are cards that are offered by various stores to encourage people to visit a particular store to buy a particular product. The most popular cards are offered by brands such as Walmart, Starbucks, iTunes, Victoria’s Secret and others.
Now you can buy and receive cards of almost any denomination. What’s more, most of them had virtually no expiration date, so you can use them whenever you want. Gift cards can be exchanged for products of the named company, both online and in the store. You should also be aware that many cards can also be used with other forms of payment.
What Are The Types Of Gift Cards?
There are currently two main types of gift cards:
- Reloadable gift cards. This type of gift card works just like debit cards. Thus, you have the opportunity to replenish them both in the store and online.
- Single-use gift card. These cards can be both physical and electronic, and are used in the store offline or online only once.
Can You Return Visa Gift Card With Receipt?
Now more and more people are interested in the question of can gift cards be returned or not. It is impossible to give an unambiguous answer to this question, as it depends. Some retailers allow people to return gift cards as long as you can show proof of purchase. However, other retailers do not allow gift cards to be returned unless required by law in your state of residence.
For example, Walmart does not provide customers with the option to return a gift card. Also, you cannot make a purchase for a certain amount and receive the balance from the card in cash. Thus, the answer to the question “Can I return gift card” will depend on the brand.
How To Turn Walmart Gift Card Into Cash?
As already mentioned, there is currently no way you can return a gift card purchased from Walmart. However, you should note that in some states, customers may receive the remaining amount on the gift card in cash.
If you want to receive the full amount that is on your Walmart gift card, there is one interesting way how you can do it. Follow a few simple steps:
- Visit a Walmart store and purchase an item that is worth more than the amount on your gift card. For example, if you have a $100 gift card, purchase an item for $110.
- After you have made a purchase, it is very important to keep the receipt. This will now count as a cash purchase at Walmart. Keep the purchased item in its packaging in perfect condition for 14 days.
- Within the same 14 days you have the right to come to the store and return the goods. Thus, you can either transfer money to a debit card or receive it in cash.
What To Do With Gift Cards You Don’t Want?
If you don’t need the gift card you received, there are several options that can help you get rid of it. Below you can explore some suitable options:
- Sell your card online. If you are sure that you will not use the presented card, you can always sell it on the Internet and get money. Now there are a huge number of different sites where people sell unused gift cards, but it is important to understand that you will have to significantly reduce the price. Also, most often it takes time, so you will not be able to receive the money on the same day.
- Buy items for family and friends. Even if you don’t need a gift card, you can always use it to purchase items for your loved ones. If one of them has a birthday soon or you are going to celebrate Christmas together, you can use the gift card and purchase a gift.
- Sell the card to your friends. This option is more suitable for you, since selling a card to a friend can take much less time. Also, the deal is likely to be more profitable.
- Regift the card. Another fairly simple way is to give the card to someone else who will be happy with it. After all, if you do not make purchases in a particular store, this does not mean at all that other people do the same. Thus, for some, this will be a good and valuable gift.
- Donate your card to charity. If you’re not too concerned about getting your money back, you can always donate this card to someone in need. Trust us, the charity will put this card to good use.
- Use the card to buy items that you can sell. Most often, people are reluctant to buy gift cards online, but they may be happy to buy this or that product.
- Use gift-card exchange sites. If you do not shop in a particular store, you can exchange cards with another person and get the card that you really need.